Thursday, August 2, 2012

Book Blogger Hop Aug 3-9th

When a book goes “viral” (Hunger Games, Fifty Shades, Twilight), do you rush out to read it like everyone else, even if it’s not in your typical genre?

I am going to have to say NO. First, I would rather wait till the book hits paperback. Sadly after all the ebook biz has boomed, I just can't see forking out average $22 for a hardback. ESPECIALLY since my TBR pile grows by the day. I have plenty of books to keep me entertained until such time that it hits paperback. But as I wait, I do occasionally see what the wait list at the library is for that book. Again, if the list is too long... eh I can wait.

I have read Hunger Games trilogy but not during the initial hype. It wasn't until my reading friend read them all and was raving about the books. It was just prior to the movie coming out. Same with Fifty Shades. Sadly I will admit I read them. But it wasn't due to the publicity of the book. It was because again, I had a few friends that read it and convinced me to read it. And I must say, I didn't have to pay for any of the books... thank goodness. :)

But I am a library junky. So if there is a book that has come out and I want to read... genre or not... I do place it on my TBR Goodreads list and look later.

On another note... I have a few books that need reviewing. I have been super busy with my daughters 4th birthday party (Jake and the Neverland Pirates theme). And my reading has slowed down because of the busy. Boo Hoo. But I plan to review them soon. I have SUMMER RENTAL and A STORY OF A BEAUTIFUL GIRL to review.

Have a wonderful weekend and Ill be hopping around soon.

7 comments:

  1. Same with me on the cost of hardbacks. My library system is big and unless you request the book pre-pub, it will take about 6 months to read it anyway. I try to stick with my paperbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta agree about hardback- I don't often buy them unless it is a book I have been waiting for (Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl for example).

    I read 50 Shades because of my SIL and the constant buzz in the news. Ugh. Glad I did so I can criticize appropriately with my knowledge of the trilogy. But still, UGH.

    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like me! I *almost* never rush out and buy a book just because everyone's raving about it. If it sounds like an interesting read, then I'll put it on hold at the library or wait 'til it's cheaper to buy.

    Glad to have found you via the Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a mood reader, that is most important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with hardbacks. If I want to read it bad enough I will get it at my library.

    PS - new follower. =)
    www.pattisreadingcorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a lucky girl to have the inter-library loan available to me, it doesn't take long to get a book that I want. Thankfully! A fellow hopper stopping by...

    http://therelentlessreader.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Come on over to my blog - you have been nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award = also always looking for new followers. =)

    ReplyDelete